Marketing Update: Social Objects & Marketing with @GapingVoid
Episode #174 - November 11th, 2011
- How to interact on Twtter: Include #HubSpotTV in your tweet!
- On the show today is Mike Volpe (@mvolpe), Karen Rubin (@KarenRubin) and special guest Hugh MacLeod (@gapingvoid)
- As always, all the old episodes are in iTunes. If you like the show, please leave a 5-star review!
- Anyone is welcome to come by the show to watch as part of the live studio audience - 4pm Friday
Special Guest: Hugh MacLeod
- Your Twitter bio says you are a "Cartoonist, bestselling author and marketing apostate." I had to go look up apostate and it's defined as "a person who abandons his religion, party, or cause." So have you abandoned marketing?
- Tell us about social objects? what is a social object and how do they relate to social networks?
- How should marketers think about social objects?
Marketing Automation: Doing It Right
- I've been doing a poor job of giving you what you really, truly need as a link builder. For some reason, I thought I knew what you wanted better than you did. Because of that, we've built some of the most complex link building tools in the industry.
- In this letter (reprinted in part uncensored with their permission), the CEO of Ontolo, Ben Wills, apologizes for having led their product in a bad direction over their last version and explains the thought process and decisions that spurred the newest version of their product, which they are releasing next week.
- Ben ends the letter with a note that he will be sending a follow-up email with more product specific information on Friday morning to follow up, and thanks the community for being involved.
- The email never directly asks for anything except the reader's forgiveness for being subjected to sub-par software.
- They used this letter in other channels besides email, by publishing it on their blog and social media accounts as well.
- Ben sets clear expectations for his follow-up - After sending this message on Wednesday, he notes that you'll receive another email on Friday with more information about the next version of their product.
- On Friday morning when the next email went out, the people who received it were excited to do so: Ontolo had built up some suspense and excitement for the next version of their software. Imagine if your leads were actually EXCITED to receive their next piece of email marketing from you.
- Marketing Takeaway: You don't have to kill kittens when you automate your marketing efforts.
Vsnap Celebrate our Vetrans
- Vsnap allows users to exchange brief video messages and attachments. The company, which is planning to launch a beta site in mid-November, is hoping to take advantage of the increasing capability of smartphones and computers to record and send video easily.
- started brainstorming about how it could be used to pay tribute to American veterans on Veterans Day, Nov. 11 and came up with the Vthankyou
- Each video message posted on the group’s Twitter and Facebook sites will unlock a $1 donation to the Wounded Warrior Project, a nonprofit organization that creates programs to help injured members of the military.
- Seen an increase from 10-100 impressions up to 500 impressions per post on Facebook.
- Having trouble measuring Twitter, since not everyone uses the hashtag, however impressions have have ranged from 6,000 towards the beginning of the campaign last week to 57,000 over the past couple days or so.
- Vsnap.com is seeing about 54% new visitors 46% returning with an average site time 5+ minutes.
- Coverage in the Globe, Boston Magazine, BostInno as well as others.
- Marketing Takeaway: Create unique social objects FTW!
Google+ Launches Business Pages
- Google+ Pages have a similar look and feel to Facebook Pages, allowing businesses to leverage the social network to connect with their audience, spread their messages, promote their content, and generate leads.
- With a network of more than 40 million members, Google+ is indeed deserving of your marketing attention, so smart marketers should set up their Google+ Pages as soon as possible.
- Avoid creating your business page through just any old account, such as a personal gmail account. Instead, choose a gmail account that is accessible to multiple members of your marketing team (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), and use that account to create your page.
- Promoting a blank page isn't a great way to convince people that your Page is valuable enough to add to their Circles. So invest some time into optimizing your page and sharing a few links to valuable content before you start promoting it to the masses.
- Marketing Takeaway: Haven't set up your Google+ Business page? What are you waiting for?!?!
Google Launches Think Insights for Marketers
- As if there wasn’t enough data flying around these days now Google has opened up a veritable information maniac’s fantasy land with their just out of beta Think Insights offering.
- Some things you can find on Think Insights
- Based on search history, consumer demand for pretzels peaks in what month of the year?
- How much (in $) does search add to the world’s GDP?
- In 2011, what percent of people dreamed and brainstormed about their next vacation?
- What percent of the daily queries on Google.com have never been seen before?
- A mobile example,
- 85% of mobile devices will be web enabled by next year.
- Mobile search has grown 4x in the past year.
- 1 in 3 mobile searches have local intent.
- 30% of restaurant searches are from mobile devices.
- Followed by related studies, articles, tools, videos & infographics
- Marketing Takeaway: Find interesting data and share it with everyone!
- Marketing Tip of the Week